At TexasAllergyMD, we strive to provide patients with excellent options for their allergies. For patients who experience allergies that appear immune to traditional medications, environmental sublingual immunotherapy can be provided as an alternative to allergy shots and provide relief from allergy symptoms.
What is Environmental Sublingual Immunotherapy?
Environmental sublingual immunotherapy, also known as SLIT, is a long-term, safe, and effective way to treat allergies caused by environmental allergens. SLIT works by exposing the patient to small doses of the allergen(s) causing their allergic reaction, and by gradually increasing the dosage over time, helps the patient build up their immune system’s tolerance to these allergens.
Our Environmental SLIT treatment at TexasAllergyMD can help treat a wide range of environmental allergies, including but not limited to:
- Pollen from grass, trees, and weeds
- Dust mites
- Pet dander
- Mold spores
- Cockroach allergens
How Does Environmental Sublingual Immunotherapy Work?
Environmental sublingual immunotherapy works by gradually exposing your body to triggers; from there, your body’s immune system learns to reduce the amount of histamine produced, causing inflammation and allergy symptoms. This process is repeated over months to allow your body to adjust to the allergen.
At our practice, Dr. Mireku can provide environmental sublingual immunotherapy. Your treatment will be provided as drops, and by placing a few drops under your tongue at specific times, the drops work to desensitize your immune system to the substances that trigger your allergies.
The Benefits of Environmental Sublingual Immunotherapy
Environmental sublingual immunotherapy provides many wondrous benefits for patients with severe, uncontrollable allergies. For patients seeking solutions to their allergy problem, environmental sublingual immunotherapy can provide these benefits:
- Long-term relief: Unlike allergy medications that only provide temporary relief, SLIT can provide long-lasting relief even after the treatment.
- Safe and convenient: This treatment can be administered at home, which is especially helpful for people with busy schedules or who live far away from our clinic.
- Reduced need for medication: SLIT can reduce the need for allergy medications, which can be expensive and have unpleasant side effects.
- Effective for multiple allergens: SLIT can treat allergies caused by multiple allergens simultaneously, which can be especially helpful for people with multiple allergies.
You may benefit from environment sublingual immunotherapy if you experience allergies that interfere with your daily life and constantly experience triggers that result in sneezing fits, runny nose, reddened eyes, and other body reactions.
Contact TexasAllergyMD For More Information About SLIT Treatment!
If you’re interested in our Environmental Sublingual Immunotherapy treatment, please don’t hesitate to contact our team at TexasAllergyMD. Meet with our team at our McKinney/Prosper Clinic or at our Southlake Clinic. Our experienced allergists, under the guidance of Dr. Nana Mireku, will work with you to create a personalized allergy treatment plan that meets your unique needs and helps alleviate your allergy symptoms.